If you are an eBook lover, you probably have aware that your book content comes in many formats now, word, pdf, mobi, ePub… and there are readers ( device based or web-based) available for each kind of file. Among all of them, ePUB is the most adaptable ones which can be read on any type of devices, your smart phone, tablet, desktop and eReaders, except for Amazon Kindle. Yes, you are right, except for Kindle.
EPUB is a technical standard published by the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) in 2007, it became the successor of Open eBook Standard. After being constantly updated and iterated, here we have ePUB 3 finally released in 2011. Now it supports fixed layout documents , thus you do need to worry about the possible mess up of book content after you switch the devices and use more pure HTML and CSS.
The Seven Benefits of ePUB3
- People are used to reading on different devices, such as mobile phones, tablets, personal computers, these devices come in different sizes.
- ePUB 3 lets us use reflowable layout. This is something like reading content on a responsive website.It automatically adjusts to screen size and gives a clear view of content, be it text, images, videos, or any other elements.
- ePUB 3 allows publishers to add various interactivities.
- Modern online books should be made for generations who are using them to learn everything as part of lifelong learning. Interactive content ensures longer engagement and better learning experience.
- ePUB 3 lets you add an ever increasing number of interactive assets such as: Audio and Video, Live links, Media overlay and Read-aloud, All sorts of Quizzes and Assessments, Extra learning material, Presentations and Games.
- Global Language Support
- ePUB 3 is created for all languages: left to right, right to left, and vertical.
- ePUB 3 books are more accessible.
- ePUB 3 enables people with special needs to use online books.It also enables those who due to old age or special situations , such as while driving, benefit from ePUB3 books.
- Readership and Analytics
- ePUB 3 books can trace a reader’s journey through a book, This is the foundation of data-smart publishing.
- Publishers can use completion rate to see how many readers actually finish a book.
- Satisfaction index helps you to see if readers are happy with their reading experience.
- Word of mouth is a very important factor in increasing sales or adoption of a book.Use recommendation factor to find out if the readers are ready to spread the word about the book.
- Velocity or speed of reading is also a good indicator for publishers to decide whether a book is a page turner or a door stopper!
- Publishers can find out whether they should get behind a title by running test release and gathering readership data.
- Educators can use readership data to provide student based teaching.
- Social and Communication
- Readers are used to social networking.ePUB 3 lets you add social and communication capabilities to books, ask questions, share a piece of content , highlight, add notes, share with others, and learn from others.
- ePUB 3 books can be read on all devices, all standard browsers and all screen sizes.
- All you need is an ePUB 3 reader. This can be a web reader so you can read your book on any personal computer or desktop or our native apps from Apple store or Google Play.
- All your devices are synchronized. So you can leave one and pick from where you left off on another device.
Many publishers and writers have discovered the benefits of ePUB 3 and started publishing their content in such format.
KNiTO book store is a ePUB 3 only bookshop on the market now, with its powerful authoring studio and interactive, reader feature, you can make the publish, sell and read in one stop. Check www.knito.com for further details.